[Numpy-discussion] Behaviour of copy for structured dtypes with gaps

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Apr 11 22:07:27 EDT 2019

My concern would be that to implement (2), I think .copy() has to
either special-case certain dtypes, or else we have to add some kind
of "simplify for copy" operation to the dtype protocol. These both add
architectural complexity, so maybe it's better to avoid it unless we
have a compelling reason?