[Numpy-discussion] adding Quansight Labs as institutional partner

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 06:35:43 EDT 2019

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 10:03 PM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 6:25 PM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Thanks Alan, good questions. The donations via the Flipcause site go to
>> NumFOCUS. NumFOCUS is a 501(c)3 and NumPy's fiscal sponsor, so any
>> individual or institution that wants to donate to NumPy should preferably
>> donate to NumFOCUS. That way your donation is tax-deductable if you're in
>> the US, and it can be used in a way that the NumPy Steering Council prefers.
>>
>> Quansight Labs is not a nonprofit and it doesn't make much sense for it
>> to focus on donations. That said, it does have a very capable team, so
>> could contract with NumFOCUS to do work on NumPy, if the NumPy Steering
>> Council thinks that's in NumPy's best interest (e.g. for developing a
>> particular feature).
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 6:05 PM Alan Isaac <alan.isaac at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Under the section "How will we fund this?" in the first Quansight link,
>>> there is not category of "individual and institutional donations".
>>> I noticed this because the question recently arose at my university,
>>> how can the university occasionally donate to NumPy development?
>>>

>> We should talk:) Anything we can do as a project to make that easier
>> should be done. Also if you need an invoice or purchase order from
>> NumFOCUS, I believe that can be easily arranged (and has been arranged for
>> other projects in the past).
>>
>> In order for this to happen, the recipient of the donation and the
>>> intended use of the funds must be transparently documented.  As an
>>> example, suppose one goes to numpy.org and scrolls down (!?) to
>>> the "Donate to Numpy" button.  It is entirely unclear what that
>>> means, and clicking the button leads to a flipcause site that fails
>>> to clarify.
>>

>> The numpy.org donation button needs to be overhauled anyway, because
>> NumFOCUS is switching away from Flipcause. At the same time we can clarify
>> on that page where donation go and how we then decide to use that funding.
>>

> Here is a PR with updates to the numpy.org front page:
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy.org/pull/20. I think it contains all the
> essentials (governance, roadmap, where the funds go). A larger website
> overhaul is also in order, but that's hard to do right now. Howevrer if
> there is still information missing that people really look for when
> considering a donation, I'd love to know so I can add that straight away.

This is now live. Thanks Matti for the quick review (as always)!

For the record I'll copy the content here:

If you have found NumPy to be useful in your work, research or company,
please consider making a donation to the project commensurate with your
resources. Any amount helps! All donations will be used strictly to fund
the development of NumPy’s open source software, documentation and
community.

Donations are managed by the NumFOCUS Foundation, which is the legal and
fiscal umbrella for the project. NumFOCUS is a 501(c)3 non-profit
foundation, so if you are subject to US Tax law, your contribution is
tax-deductible. NumPy’s Steering Council
<https://www.numpy.org/devdocs/dev/governance/index.html> will make the
decisions on how to best use any funds received. Technical and
infrastructure priorities are documented on the NumPy Roadmap
<https://www.numpy.org/neps/roadmap.html>.

Cheers,
Ralf