[Numpy-discussion] how much does binary size matter?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 05:10:56 EDT 2019

Hi all,

In https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/13207 a discussion started about the
tradeoff between performance gain for one function vs increasing the size
of a NumPy build by a couple of percent. We also discussed that in the
community call on Wednesday and concluded that it may be useful to ask here
for some more feedback. Beyond disk/memory usage and download bandwidth,
are there specific problems that people are struggling with regarding size
of numpy binaries?

Right now a wheel is 16 MB. If we increase that by 10%/50%/100% - are we
causing a real problem for someone?

Thanks,
Ralf