[Numpy-discussion] how much does binary size matter?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 08:57:41 EDT 2019

Hi,

Obviously this is a trade-off; if we can increase binary size we can
add more optimizations, for more platforms, and development will be a
little faster, because we are not having to spend time optimizing for
binary size.

If people on slow internet connections had to download numpy multiple
times, I guess this would be an issue, but I've lived behind
excruciatingly slow and unreliable connections, in Cuba, and, for a
download you do a few times a year, I very much doubt there would be
practical difference between 16M and say, 20M.  If it's 16M vs 50M,
then I think it's worth having the discussion, with the relevant
trade-offs.

Cheers,

Matthew