[Numpy-discussion] Calling BLAS functions from Python

Andras Deak deak.andris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 08:49:45 EDT 2019

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 1:18 PM Jens Jørgen Mortensen <jjmo at dtu.dk> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to use dgemm, zgemm and friends from scipy.linalg.blas to
> multiply matrices efficiently.  As an example, I'd like to do:
>
>      c += a.dot(b)
>
> using whatever BLAS scipy is linked to and I want to avoid copies of
> large matrices.  This works the way I want it:
(snip)

Hi,

This is not a direct answer to your question, but are you only trying
to use low-level BLAS or the sake of memory, or are there other
considerations? I'm not certain but I think `a.dot` will call BLAS for
matrices (hence its speed and multithreaded capabilities), so CPU time
might already be optimal. As for memory, most numpy functions (and
definitely numpy arithmetic) can be used with functions in the main
numpy namespace, using the `out` keyword to specify an existing array
in which to print. So for your simple example,

>>> import numpy as np
... a = np.ones((2, 3), order='F')
... b = np.ones((3, 4), order='F')
... c = np.zeros((7, 4), order='F')[:2, :]
... np.add(c, a.dot(b), out=c)
array([[3., 3., 3., 3.],

>>> c
array([[3., 3., 3., 3.],

As you can see non-contiguous arrays Just Work™. You will still create
a temporary array for `a.dot(b)` but I'm not sure you can spare that.
Would low-level BLAS allow you to reduce memory at that step as well?
And is there other motivation for you to go down to the metal?
Regards,

András