[Numpy-discussion] Porting code for Numpy 1.13+ to get rid of "boolean index did not match indexed array along dimension 1" error

Mauro Cavalcanti maurobio at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 05:58:55 EST 2019

Eric,

Implementing either of your suggestions (swapping the lines or using an
intermediate variable) worked fine under the latest Numpy (v1.16.1)!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best regards,

Em ter, 12 de fev de 2019 às 23:06, Eric Wieser <wieser.eric+numpy at gmail.com>
escreveu:

> It looks like your code is wrong, and numpy 1.12 happened to let you get
> away with it
>
> This line:
>
> evals = evals[evals > tolerance]
>
> Reduces the eigenvalues to only those which are greater than the tolerance
>
> When you do U[:, evals > tolerance], evals > tolerance is just going to
> be [True, True, ...].
>
> You need to swap the last two lines, to
>
> U = U[:, evals > tolerance]
> evals = evals[evals > tolerance]
>
> Or better yet, introduce an intermediate variable:
>
> keep = evals > tolerance
> evals = evals[keep]
> U = U[:, keep]
>
> Eric
>>
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2019 at 15:16 Mauro Cavalcanti <maurobio at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear ALL,
>>
>> I am trying to port an eigenalysis function that runs smoothly on Numpy
>> 1.12 but fail miserably on Numpy 1.13 or higher with the dreadful error
>> "boolean index did not match indexed array along dimension 1".
>>
>> Here is a fragment of the code, where the error occurrs:
>>
>>     evals, evecs = np.linalg.eig(Syy)
>>     idx = evals.argsort()[::-1]
>>     evals = np.real(evals[idx])
>>     U = np.real(evecs[:, idx])
>>     evals = evals[evals > tolerance]
>>     U = U[:, evals > tolerance] # Here is where the error occurs
>>
>> So, I ask: is there a way out of this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Dr. Mauro J. Cavalcanti
E-mail: maurobio at gmail.com
Web: http://sites.google.com/site/maurobio
"Life is complex. It consists of real and imaginary parts."