[Numpy-discussion] Ia `-fno-strict-aliasing` still required?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 12:36:18 EST 2019

Hi All,

Just asking if the `-fno-strict-aliasing` flag is still required for gcc.
Supposedly `-fstrict-aliasing` is enabled by default with optimization
levels >= `-O2` and that used to result in errors. However, I have noticed
that numpy wheels are being built without the `-fno-strict-aliasing` flag
and doing fine. Same on my local machine. So maybe the compiler has gotten
better at knowing when pointers may be aliased? I cannot find informative
documentation on how `-fstrict-aliasing` is actually implemented, so
thought I'd ask here if someone knows more about it.

Chuck