[Numpy-discussion] Top level release index page

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 3 05:17:23 EDT 2019

On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 11:19 PM Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com> wrote:

> In PR 13886 I reworked the way the link to the release notes is
> generated. The current page is
>

> http://www.numpy.org/devdocs/release.html
>

> and  the new page is
>

> https://8001-908607-gh.circle-artifacts.com/0/home/circleci/repo/doc/build/html/release.html
>

> I don't like the "wall of text" in the current page. On the other hand,
> it is nice to use CTRL-F to search the page itself for answers to
> questions like "what release deprecated indexing by float", which is why
> I left the level-of-detail at 3 (1 - release, 2 - sections, 3 - item
> header).

That seems a good compromise - certainly I have often used CTRL-F
on release notes or change notes while tracing regressions - and having
all the releases on one page makes this *so* much easier.

Due to the way I typically use release notes, I would perhaps have
just left the wall of text as is.

> Should the level-of-detail be reduced to only single links to the
> release document?

I'm unclear what you are suggesting here.

> An alternative would be to render the contents as a collapsible list,
> which would require some javascript.

Collapsible lists (which worked with CTRL-F searching) would be even
better for balancing readability with utility, provided it was not too much
trouble to implement and maintain of course.

Peter