[Numpy-discussion] numpy.org website redesign proposal

Dashamir Hoxha dashohoxha at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 09:43:22 EDT 2019

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 6:00 AM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just opened https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/14032, which contains a
> NEP for a redesign of the NumPy website (just the top-level site, not the
> docs). The part that most warrants discussion is probably the translation
> part. Additions to the NEP from anyone who has useful experiences with
> managing translations like that would be quite welcome.
>
> There's a couple of motivations for writing this as a NEP:
> 1. Ensure that we're all on the same page before doing quite a bit of work
> 2. Empowering people who have offered help with the website to go ahead
> and make changes. We got a few offers of help from people who are new to
> the project, which is awesome. I want to make sure they feel comfortable
> making some decisions.
> 3. Pushing forward with the website redesign now prepares the ground for
> GSoD, where we have tech writers and people with marketing skills that I
> hope will generate much better content than we have now. Integrating that
> content is much easier in a well-designed site than into the current Sphinx
> site.
>
> I also will start inviting our new volunteers to the NumPy web team, so
> they have the permissions needed to work on the website repo.

First of all, choosing a few existing sites as examples to follow is the
best thing to do. I like all the three sites selected by Ralf, especially
that of Jupiter and Julia. Having such examples makes our job much easier
(and also reduces our choices and discussions about possible choices).

Indeed, if we want to make our site similar to Jupiter, we just fork it (
https://github.com/jupyter/jupyter.github.io) and customize its content. If
we want to make it similar to Julia, we just fork it:
https://github.com/JuliaLang/www.julialang.org Both of them are in Jekyll
and markdown, so this is the only choice (unless we want to make our site
similar to that of pandas, which is built with sphinx). We admit that none
of us is good as a web designer, so following the example of a nice website
is the best way to go.

I don't understand the need/requirement for translation or i18n. None of
the sites that we are considering as examples have it, and I have not seen
any other sites that have it. Maybe I am missing something. Can someone
show an example of a website with translation?

By the way, I know that the docs are not the topic of this NEP, but I think
that we should follow the good examples for the documentation of the code
as well. For example Jupiter and Julia:
- https://jupyter.org/documentation
- https://docs.julialang.org/en/v1/

Regards,