[Numpy-discussion] defining a NumPy API standard?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 06:07:52 EDT 2019

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 10:53 AM Dashamir Hoxha <dashohoxha at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 10:01 AM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Thanks! I know this is going to be a little complicated to get everyone
>> on the same page. That's why I'm aiming to get a draft out before SciPy'19
>> so there's a chance to discuss it in person with everyone who is there.
>> Mailing lists are a poor interface. Will you be at SciPy?
>>

> Would it be useful if we could integrate the documentation system with a
> discussion forum (like Discourse.org)? Each function can be linked to its
> own discussion topic, where users and developers can discuss about the
> function, upvote or downvote it etc. This kind of discussion seems to be a
> bit more structured than a mailing list discussion.

A more modern forum is nice indeed. It is not strictly better than mailing
lists though. So what I would like is a Discourse like interface on top of
the mailing list, so we get the features you're talking about without a
painful migration and breaking all links to threads in the archives.
Mailman 3 does provide this (example:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/).
I'm keeping an eye on what's going on with Mailman 3 migration of the
python.org provided infrastructure. I think we can do this in the near to
medium future. I don't want us to be the guinea pig though:)

Cheers,
Ralf