[Numpy-discussion] defining a NumPy API standard?

Marten van Kerkwijk m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 16:07:53 EDT 2019

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 2:21 PM Eric Wieser <wieser.eric+numpy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Some of your categories here sound like they might be suitable for ABCs
> that provide mixin methods, which is something I think Hameer suggested in
> the past. Perhaps it's worth re-exploring that avenue.
>
> Eric

Indeed, and of course for __array_ufunc__ we moved there a bit already,
with `NDArrayOperatorsMixin` [1].
One could certainly similarly have NDShapingMixin that, e.g., relied on
`shape`, `reshape`, and `transpose` to implement `ravel`, `swapaxes`, etc.
And indeed use those mixins in `ndarray` itself.

For this also having a summary of base functions/methods would be very
helpful.
-- Marten