[Numpy-discussion] Moving forward with value based casting

Allan Haldane allanhaldane at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 19:34:44 EDT 2019

On 6/6/19 12:46 PM, Sebastian Berg wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-06-06 at 11:57 -0400, Allan Haldane wrote:
>> I think dtype-based casting makes a lot of sense, the problem is
>> backward compatibility.
>>
>> Numpy casting is weird in a number of ways: The array + array casting
>> is
>> unexpected to many users (eg, uint64 + int64 -> float64), and the
>> casting of array + scalar is different from that, and value based.
>> Personally I wouldn't want to try change it unless we make a
>> backward-incompatible release (numpy 2.0), based on my experience
>> trying
>> to change much more minor things. We already put "casting" on the
>> list
>> of desired backward-incompatible changes on the list here:
>> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/wiki/Backwards-incompatible-ideas-for-a-major-release
>>
>> Relatedly, I've previously dreamed about a different "C-style" way
>> casting might behave:
>> https://gist.github.com/ahaldane/0f5ade49730e1a5d16ff6df4303f2e76
>>
>> The proposal there is that array + array casting, array + scalar, and
>> array + python casting would all work in the same dtype-based way,
>> which
>> mimics the familiar "C" casting rules.
>
> If I read it right, you do propose that array + python would cast in a
> "minimal type" way for python.

I'm a little unclear what you mean by "minimal type" way. By "minimal
type", I thought you and others are talking about the rule numpy
currently uses that "the output dtype is the minimal dtype capable of
representing the value of both input dtypes", right? But in that gist I
am instead proposing that output-dtype is determined by C-like rules.

For array+py_scalar I was less certain what to do than for array+array
and array+npy_scalar. But I proposed the three "ranks" of 1. bool, 2.
int, and 3. float/complex. My rule for array+py_scalar is that if the
python scalar's rank is less than the numpy operand dtype's rank, use
the numpy dtype. If the python-scalar's rank is greater, use the
"default" types of bool_, int64, float64 respectively. Eg:

np.bool_(1) + 1        -> int64   (default int wins)
np.int8(1) + 1         -> int8    (numpy wins)
np.uint8(1) + (-1)     -> uint8   (numpy wins)
np.int64(1) + 1        -> int64   (numpy wins)
np.int64(1) + 1.0      -> float64 (default float wins)
np.float32(1.0) + 1.0  -> float32 (numpy wins)

Note it does not depend on the numerical value of the scalar, only its type.

> In your write up, you describe that if you mix array + scalar, the
> scalar uses a minimal dtype compared to the array's dtype.

Sorry if I'm nitpicking/misunderstanding, but in my rules np.uint64(1) +
1 -> uint64 but in numpy's "minimal dtype" rules it is  -> float64. So I
don't think I am using the minimal rule.

> What we
> instead have is that in principle you could have loops such as:
>
> "ifi->f"
> "idi->d"
>
> and I think we should chose the first for a scalar, because it "fits"
> into f just fine. (if the input is) `ufunc(int_arr, 12., int_arr)`.

I feel I'm not understanding you, but the casting rules in my gist
follow those two rules if i, f are the numpy types int32 and float32.

If instead you mean (np.int64, py_float, np.int64) my rules would cast
to float64, since py_float has the highest rank and so is converted to
the default numpy-type for that rank, float64.

I would also add that unlike current numpy, my C-casting rules are
associative (if all operands are numpy types, see note below), so it
does not matter in which order you promote the types: (if)i  and i(fi)
give the same result. In current numpy this is not always the case:

    p = np.promote_types
    p(p('u2',   'i1'), 'f4')    # ->  f8
    p(  'u2', p('i1',  'f4'))   # ->  f4

(However, my casting rules are not associative if you include python
scalars.. eg  np.float32(1) + 1.0 + np.int64(1) . Maybe I should try to
fix that...)

Best,
Allan