[Numpy-discussion] New release note strategy after branching 1.17.

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Wed Jun 12 10:58:58 EDT 2019

Hi all,

we had discussed trying a new strategy to gather release notes on the
last community call, but not followed up on it on the list yet.

For the next release, we decided to try a strategy of using a wiki page
to gather release notes. The main purpose for this is to avoid merge
conflicts in the release notes file. It may also make things slightly
easier for new contributors even without merge conflicts.
Any comments/opinions about other alternatives are welcome.

We probably still need to fix some details, but I this will probably
mean:

1. We tag issues with "Needs Release Notes"
2. We ask contributors/maintainers to edit the initial PR post/comment
with a release note snippet. (I expect maintainers may typically put in
a placeholder as a start for the contributor.)
3. After merging, the release notes are copied into the wiki by the
user or a contributor. After the copy happened, the label could/should
be removed?

SciPy uses a similar strategy, so they may already have some experience
to do it slightly different that I am missing.

Best Regards,

Sebastian