[Numpy-discussion] New release note strategy after branching 1.17.

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Wed Jun 12 15:19:12 EDT 2019

On Wed, 2019-06-12 at 11:45 -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> It might be worth considering a tool like 'towncrier'. It's
> automation to support the workflow where PRs that make changes also
> include their release notes, so when the release comes you've already
> done all the work and just have to hit the button.

We discussed that a bit. I think one issue is that none of us had much
experience with it. There was a notion that towncrier might be a
steeper learning curve for new/one-time contributors compared to a
wiki/summary editing approach (which probably could be automated or
semi automated at some point).

But to be honest, if you suggest that we should give it a better look
or even a try, I do not think anyone had strong feelings about it. I
cannot say I looked at those two options (towncrier, and I think what
cpython uses) close enough to have an opinion.

- Sebastian