[Numpy-discussion] New release note strategy after branching 1.17.

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 12 19:53:58 EDT 2019

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 15:57:48 -0400, Marten van Kerkwijk wrote:
> Overall, in favour of splitting the large files, but I don't like that the
> notes stop being under version control (e.g., a follow-up PR slightly
> changes things, how does the note gets edited/reverted?).
>
> Has there been any discussion of having, e.g., a directory
> `docs/1.17.0-notes/`, and everyone storing their notes as individual files?
> (A bit like maildir vs a single inbox file.) At release time, one would
> then simply merge/order the files. Beyond staying within git, an advantage
> of this may be that automation is easier (e.g., if the file is always
> called <issue-number>.rst, then checks for it can be very easily
> automated.).

IPython does something very much like this: they put .rst files inside
whatsnew/pr/x.rst and then have a script to merge all these into the
release notes:

https://ipython.readthedocs.io/en/stable/coredev/index.html?highlight=whatsnew#create-github-stats-and-finish-release-note

It looks like Jupyter Notebook is not using that system, so not sure how
much mileage they got out of it.

Best regards,
Stéfan