[Numpy-discussion] new MaskedArray class

Benjamin Root ben.v.root at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 21:21:31 EDT 2019

"""Third, in the old np.ma.MaskedArray masked positions are very often
"effectively" clobbered, in the sense that they are not computed. For
example, if you do "c = a+b", and then change the mask of c"""

My use-cases don't involve changing the mask of "c". It would involve
changing the mask of "a" or "b" after I have calculated "c", so that I
could calculate "d". As a fairly simple example, I frequently work with
satellite data. We have multiple masks, such as water, vegetation, sandy
loam, bare rock, etc. The underlying satellite data in any of these places
isn't bad, they just need to be dealt with differently.  I wouldn't want
the act of applying a mask for a set of calculations on things that aren't
bare rock to mess up my subsequent calculation on things that aren't water.
Right now, I have to handle this explicitly with flattened sparse arrays,
which makes visualization and conception difficult.

Ben Root