[Numpy-discussion] Syntax Improvement for Array Transpose

Marten van Kerkwijk m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 21:09:22 EDT 2019

I had not looked at any implementation (only remembered the nice idea of
"importing from the future"), and looking at the links Eric shared, it
seems that the only way this would work is, effectively, pre-compilation
doing a `<codetext>.replace('.T', '._T_from_the_future')`, where you'd be
hoping that there never is any other meaning for a `.T` attribute, for any
class, since it is impossible to be sure a given variable is an ndarray.
(Actually, a lot less implausible than for the case of numpy indexing
discussed in the link...)

Anyway, what I had in mind was something along the lines of inside the `.T`
code there being be a check on whether a particular future item was present
in the environment. But thinking more, I can see that it is not trivial to
get to know something about the environment in which the code that called
you was written....

So, it seems there is no (simple) way to tell numpy that inside a given
module you want `.T` to have the new behaviour, but still to warn if
outside the module it is used in the old way (when risky)?

-- Marten

p.s. I'm somewhat loath to add new properties to ndarray, but `.T` and `.H`
have such obvious and clear meaning to anyone dealing with (complex)
matrices that I think it is worth it. See
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2019-June/079584.html
for a list of options of attributes that we might deprecate "in exchange"...

All the best,

Marten