[Numpy-discussion] Syntax Improvement for Array Transpose

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 17:00:22 EDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 10:17 PM Kirill Balunov <kirillbalunov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> вт, 25 июн. 2019 г. в 21:20, Cameron Blocker <cameronjblocker at gmail.com>:
>
>> It seems to me that the general consensus is that we shouldn't be
>> changing .T to do what we've termed matrix transpose or conjugate
>> transpose.
>>

> Reading through this thread, I can not say that I have the same opinion -
> at first, many looked positively at the possibility of change - `arr.T` to
> mean a transpose of the last two dimensions by default, and then people
> start discussing several different (albeit related) topics at once. So, I
> want to point out that it is rather difficult to follow what is currently
> discussed in this thread, probably because several different (albeit
> related) topics are being discussed at once. I would suggest at first
> discuss `arr.T` change, because other topics somewhat depend on that
> (`arr.MT`/`arr.CT`/`arr.H` and others).

Perhaps not full consensus between the many people with different opinions
and interests. But for the first one, arr.T change: it's clear that this
won't happen. Between Juan's examples of valid use, and what Stephan and
Matthew said, there's not much more to add. We're not going to change
correct code for minor benefits.

> p.s:  Documentation about  `.T` shows only two examples, for 1d - to show
> that it works and for 2d case. Maybe it means something? (especially for
> new `numpy` users. )

That only means that there's a limit to the number of examples we've
managed to put in docstrings.

Ralf