[Numpy-discussion] NEP-18 comment

Frederic Bastien fbastien at nvidia.com
Thu Mar 7 09:23:10 EST 2019

I like your idea Sebastian. This way it is enabled only when needed and it is invisible to the user at the same time.

Stefan, does it solve well enough the potential problem you raised?

It still raise the problem that if you import a lib and do not use it, then the small array would slow down. I do not see way around that expect to tell the library dev to call that method not  on import, but when it get used. But this can be tricky to do for some lib I think.

I prefer a slowdown when you try to use advanced feature then a slow down by default and your proposition does that.

Frédéric