[Numpy-discussion] NEP-18 comment

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 7 12:15:23 EST 2019

Hi Sebastian, Frederic,

On Thu, 07 Mar 2019 14:23:10 +0000, Frederic Bastien wrote:
> I like your idea Sebastian. This way it is enabled only when needed and it is invisible to the user at the same time.
>
> Stefan, does it solve well enough the potential problem you raised?

I don't think so.  This means that NumPy suddenly behaves differently
when dask is imported, which again causes the problem mentioned earlier:
that identical NumPy code could behave differently depending on library
versions, imports, and the environment.

That said, I think this is a better solution than an environment
variable.

Anyway, my opinion is just one of many: I'd like to hear what the other
developers think.

Best regards,
Stéfan