[Numpy-discussion] introducing Numpy.net, a pure C# implementation of Numpy

kmckenna at baselinesw.com kmckenna at baselinesw.com
Sat Mar 16 06:04:12 EDT 2019

This is a quick note to announce open source numpy.net available at this
repository

https://github.com/Quansight-Labs/numpy.net

This is a pure C# based implementation of Numpy, ported from the underlying
C library and the python application layer.

Written and tested on .NET standard 2.1 so it will run anywhere.

I have the vast majority of the most commonly used functions implemented and
unit tested. It supports fully functional slicing and views.

Verified to generate binary compatible output with python numpy.

I built it because I was tasked with porting a large Python Numpy
application to C# and as you may know, there are not a lot of good solutions
(until now).  My employer graciously agreed to open source it.

If you have some time to review it, I'd love to get some feedback from some
Numpy experts (I don't consider myself one).

I believe it is ready to start building tools like SciPy on top of it.

Longer term, I would like to see this ported to Java.  I expect pure C# to
port easily to Java.