[Numpy-discussion] introducing Numpy.net, a pure C# implementation of Numpy

Travis Oliphant teoliphant at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 17:43:15 EDT 2019

Thanks for sharing this work with the world,   What you did is not an easy
task.   This makes it easier for people to port NumPy-based Python code to
C#.  Of course, this group would more likely prefer people to port their C#
code to Python + NumPy.

Nonetheless, I think there are interesting things to learn from your code
for this group as well --- if you could share some of the details of what
it was like to port the code.  Things like where the difficulties where,
any abstraction concepts you developed, as well as things that were
confusing, it would be of value to this community.

Also, a lot of NumPy code these days uses a lot of other libraries.  Did
you also port the numpy.linalg or numpy.fft or numpy.stats modules?   The
numpy.linalg module currently uses low-level libraries in C called BLAS
(Basic Linear Algebra Subprograms).   There are similar interfaces in C#.

Another approach to code-sharing is the XND project  (http://xnd.io) which
allows the creation of NumPy-like interfaces in any language.  Your
implementation would be an interesting start to a C# binding of XND.

Thanks,

-Travis