[Numpy-discussion] My introduction to NumPy community

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 11:27:49 EDT 2019

On 27/3/19 11:35 am, Kotturu Supriya wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am Supriya, an Outreachy applicant. I am interested in contributing
> to this project. Please let me know how to proceed and any suggestions
> on my first contribution would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Regards,
> Sai Supriya.

Welcome to you both.

To get you started it would be great if you can try to work on an issue
in numpy and create a pull request (PR) to fix it. That way we can get
to know you a bit and you get to know numpy and our workflow.

New contributors might find it easiest to work on the documentation tag/label,
you can see them via:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+doc+label%3A%2204+-+Documentation%22

Some relevant issues (note some of these may already have someone
interested in them):

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/13013  which probably someone
is already working on

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/13114  which can be broken into a
number of smaller PRs

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/12632

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/12385

and

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/12097  which is a wip to add a
version selector. This is a pure javascript issue.

Our workflow is based on github, for an introduction see
http://www.numpy.org/devdocs/dev/gitwash/development_workflow.html.

For instructions on building the documentation, which uses sphinx, see,
http://www.numpy.org/devdocs/docs/index.html?highlight=documentation

I hope you can find something to get you started.

Try to work through the process and reach out when you get stuck with
specific questions: "I tried X, expected Y, but got Z".

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any
questions. The issues themselves are also a good place to ask for specific guidance.

Best Regards,
Matti