[Numpy-discussion] [SPAM]Re: introducing Numpy.net, a pure C# implementation of Numpy

Paul Hobson pmhobson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 16:21:11 EDT 2019

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 10:30 AM Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov>
wrote:

> Just curious -- does it have to be C#? or could it be any CLR application
> -- i.e. IronPython?

I don't do this enough to know this answer to this question. But we had a
critical mass of past C# projects to serve as a guide that it's been a
relatively low effort to get the C# APIs up and running (e.g., click this
button to deploy).

> I imagine you could build a web service pretty easily in IronPython --
> though AFAIK, the attempts at getting numpy support (and thus Pandas, etc)
> never panned out.

That was the state of things (no numpy or pandas) last time I checked. And
C#'s pandas-like approach to DB tables is good enough that I haven't felt
the need check again recently.

The point of all of this is that in those situations, have a numpy-like
>> library would be very nice indeed. I've very excited to hear that the OP's
>> work has been open sourced.
>>

> I wonder if the OP's work could be used to make a numpy for Iron Python
> native to the CLR ....

That would be very interesting indeed.
-Paul