[Numpy-discussion] Outreachy Applicant

Matti Picus matti.picus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 14:42:14 EDT 2019

On 28/3/19 7:37 pm, Aishwarya Dash wrote:
> Hi, I'm Aishwarya Dash, an applicant for Outreachy. I am quite
> interested to work on the documentation for Numpy, and I would really
> appreciate guidelines on how to contribute to the docs and what ideas
> I should work on in order to make my application better.

Hello and welcome.

To get you started it would be great if you can try to work on an issue
in numpy and create a pull request (PR) to fix it. That way we can get
to know you a bit and you get to know numpy and our workflow.
New contributors might find it easiest to work on the documentation tag/label,
you can see them via:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+doc+label%3A%2204+-+Documentation%22

Some relevant issues (note some of these may already have someone
interested in them):

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/13013  which probably someone
is already working on

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/13114  which can be broken into a
number of smaller PRs

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/12632

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/12385

and

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/12097  which is a wip to add a
version selector. This is a pure javascript issue.

Our workflow is based on github, for an introduction see
http://www.numpy.org/devdocs/dev/gitwash/development_workflow.html.

For instructions on building the documentation, which uses sphinx, see,
http://www.numpy.org/devdocs/docs/index.html?highlight=documentation

I hope you can find something to get you started.

Try to work through the process and reach out when you get stuck with
specific questions: "I tried X, expected Y, but got Z".

Feel free to reach out to Sebastian or me directly if you have any
questions. The issues themselves are also a good place to ask for specific guidance.

Best Regards,
Matti