[Numpy-discussion] Outreachy applicant introduction

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Sat Mar 30 11:13:45 EDT 2019

On Sat, 2019-03-30 at 16:19 +0200, hagar haytham wrote:
> Hey
> I am Hagar Haytham, a Computer Engineering student. I have some
> experience in python. I would like to be a part from this community
> and contribute to it. I am just making sure that you're still
> accepting applicants and hope i am not too late as I am still
> familiarizing myself with the environment.

Hello and welcome,

Yes, you can still apply, although the deadline is getting close of
course and you are required to start working on some issue by creating
a pull request. You will also need to apply on the Outreachy website.

Some issues that may be relevant are:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/12385

and

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/12097 which is a wip to add a
version selector. This is a pure javascript issue.

But maybe it is better/quicker to look at issues with the documentation
tag yourself and see if you find one that seems interesting to you and
a good start (please try a bit to avoid issues someone else is already
working on, although if there is no PR already open you can try. There
seems to be quite a bit of last minute activity):

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:"04+-+Documentation

Our workflow is based on github, for an introduction see
http://www.numpy.org/devdocs/dev/gitwash/development_workflow.html.

For instructions on building the documentation, which uses sphinx, see,
http://www.numpy.org/devdocs/docs/index.html?highlight=documentation

I hope you can find something to get you started, once you do, do not
forget to apply on the Outreachy website and not what you worked on.

If you have further questions feel free to send another email to Matti
or me or if it is related, ask on the specific issue on github.

Best Regards,

Sebastian