[Numpy-discussion] grant proposal for core scientific Python projects (rejected)

Joe Harrington jh at physics.ucf.edu
Fri May 3 18:13:59 EDT 2019

Just to keep people in the loop, Ralf and I are in discussion with
people at NASA HQ about a funding stream for core development.  Ralf has
put together a short description of the development and funding model (5
core projects, 10-20 core developers each, nearly all volunteer now, how
NumFOCUS fits in, what we hope to establish from NASA vs. from other
agencies, industry, other countries' science entities, etc.).  That will
circulate within the agency, to see what can be scraped together.
Program managers in NASA's Science Mission Directorate (SMD) gave
quite-positive feedback on how vital the Python ecosystem is to NASA's
mission.  We're emphasizing the need for both new functionality and
maintenance (e.g., docs, web site, bug fixing). If this is ultimately
successful, it can be a model for approaching other agencies in the US
and elsewhere.

To Steve's point, regarding how hard it is for Civil Servants to
contribute to OSS (due to NASA's lengthy internal review process for
releasing software), this problem was clearly called out in the
Academies report.  We proposed some solutions to streamline things.
What's needed now is for NASA Civil Servants to take that report and the
relevant white papers (cited in the report and posted online) to their
center's senior management, and to NASA HQ, and similarly for others in
government agencies.  You may wish to start from NASA's (or your
agency's) mission, which includes sharing technology openly to boost the
economy, and how you are encountering unreasonable barriers to that
goal.  This is mandated by the National Air and Space Act of 1958.

For example, there is little reason to conduct an export-control review
with lawyers looking at code emerging from a group that has nothing to
do with anything near an export-controlled topic. Universities and
contractors are subject to the same export-control laws as NASA, and
they have not routinely conducted similar reviews of every line of code
released.  This has not led to a pattern of export violations.  (Whether
there is any benefit at all to the export control laws as applied to
software is debatable, since it's usually easy for coders elsewhere to
write the same codes, but the law is the law.)

--jh--