[Numpy-discussion] grant proposal for core scientific Python projects (rejected)

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat May 4 06:30:56 EDT 2019

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 6:49 PM Mark Mikofski <mikofski at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Sorry, that last attachment was just a slide show of the topic 3
> recording, here is the full funding opportunity announcement - letter with
> 200 word abstract are due May 7th
>
> On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 8:40 AM Mark Mikofski <mikofski at berkeley.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ralf, and others,
>>
>> Sorry for the late notice, but there is are several funding opportunities
>> in solar, including one for $350,000 to develop open source software to
>> lower soft costs of solar.
>>
>> https://eere-exchange.energy.gov/#FoaId45eda43a-e826-4481-ae7a-cc6e8ed4fdae
>>
>> see topic 3.4 specifically in attached PDF - also note to view the
>> recording the password is "*Setofoa2019"* it's about 30 minutes long.

Thanks for bringing up this opportunity Mark.

>> I know that this is a extremely niche, but as a few others have said,
>> [the DOE] grants tend to be very specific, but perhaps we can creatively
>> think of ways to channel funds to NumPy and SciPy.

I think I prefer to pass on this one. Not only because abstracts are due in
3 days, but mainly because it's not the best fit. Perhaps we'll be forced
to partner with others on application-specific grants and goals at some
point. However it would be much better (as I've said before) to obtain
funding for what we really want and need rather than channeling some some
proportion of a grant meant for something different into development of our
projects.

My main goal at this point is getting clearer (also in written form)
exactly what we need, then asking for exactly that. Format TBD - Chris'
proposal of a BoF at SciPy may be a good forum to discuss.

Cheers,
Ralf