[Numpy-discussion] Adding to the non-dispatched implementation of NumPy methods

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Fri May 10 22:04:18 EDT 2019

On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 12:29 PM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> We seem to have run out of steam a bit here.

We discussed this today in person at the NumPy sprint.

The consensus was to go for a name like __skip_array_function__. Ufuncs
don't have very good use-cases for a function that skips dispatch:
1. The overhead of the ufunc dispatch machinery is much smaller, especially
in the case where all arguments are NumPy arrays, because there is no need
for a wrapper function in Python.
2. Inside __array_ufunc__ it's possible to cast arguments into NumPy arrays
explicitly and then call the ufunc again. There's no need to explicitly
skip overrides.

We also don't really care about supporting the use-case where a function
gets changed into a ufunc. We already warn users not to call
__skip_array_function__ directly (without using getattr) outside
__array_function__.

Given all this, it seems best to stick with a name that mirrors
__array_function__ as closely as possible. I picked "skip" instead of
"skpping" just because it's slightly shorter, but otherwise don't have a
strong preference.

I've edited the NEP [1] and implementation [2] pull requests to use this
new name, and clarify the use-cases. If there no serious objections, I'd
love to merge these soon, in time for the NumPy 1.17 release candidate.

[1] https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/13305
[2] https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/13389