[Numpy-discussion] Keep __array_function__ unexposed by default for 1.17?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Wed May 22 17:34:37 EDT 2019

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 9:46 PM Marten van Kerkwijk <
m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Stephan,
>
> I'm quite happy with the idea of turning on __array_function__ but
> postponing any formal solution to getting into the wrapped routines (i.e.,
> one can use __wrapped__, but it is an implementation detail that is not
> documented and comes with absolutely no guarantees).
>
> That way, 1.17 will be a release where we can think of how to address two
> different things:
> 1. Reduce the overhead costs for pure ndarray cases (i.e., mostly within
> numpy itself);
> 2. Simplify implementation in outside packages.
>
> On the performance front, I'm not quite sure what the state of the
> environment variable check is, but is it possible to just flip the default,
> i.e., for 1.17 one gets __array_function__ support turned on by default,
> but can turn it off if wanted?

This would be useful as a safety measure.

> All the best,
>
> Marten
>
> On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 11:53 AM Stephan Hoyer <shoyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for raising these concerns.
>>
>> The full implications of my recent __skip_array_function__ proposal are
>> only now becoming evident to me now, looking at it's use in GH-13585.
>> Guaranteeing that it does not expand NumPy's API surface seems hard to
>> achieve without pervasive use of __skip_array_function__ internally.
>>
>> Taking a step back, the sort of minor hacks [1] that motivated
>> __skip_array_function__ for me are annoying, but really not too bad -- they
>> are a small amount of additional code duplication in a proposal that
>> already requires a large amount of code duplication.
>>
>> So let's roll back the recent NEP change adding __skip_array_function__
>> to the public interface [2]. Inside the few NumPy functions where
>> __array_function__ causes a measurable performance impact due to repeated
>> calls (most notably np.block, for which some benchmarks are 25% slower), we
>> can make use of the private __wrapped__ attribute.

Thanks Stephan, this sounds good.

>> I would still like to turn on __array_function__ in NumPy 1.17. At least,
>> let's try that for the release candidate and see how it goes.

I agree. I'd actually suggest flipping the switch asap and see if it causes
any issues for projects that test against numpy master in their CI, and the
people that like to live on the bleeding edge by installing master into
their environment.

Cheers,
Ralf

The "all in" nature of __array_function__ without __skip_array_function__