[Numpy-discussion] scientific Python featured in GitHub keynote

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat May 25 18:08:48 EDT 2019

Hi all,

On Thursday I had the pleasure to be at GitHub Satellite, together with
quite a few other maintainers from projects throughout our ecosystem, and
see NumPy, Matplotlib, AstroPy and other projects highlighted prominently
in Nat Friedman's keynote. It included the story of the black hole image,
and the open source software that enabled that image. It's the first 21
minutes of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAbJkn4uRL4.

Also, we now have "used by" for each repo and the dependency graph (
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/network/dependents): right now there are
205,240 repos and 13,877 packages on GitHub that depend on NumPy. Those
numbers were not easy to get before, so very useful to have them in the UI
now.

Cheers,
Ralf