[Numpy-discussion] scientific Python featured in GitHub keynote

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun May 26 05:58:39 EDT 2019

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 2:19 AM Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 4:09 PM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> On Thursday I had the pleasure to be at GitHub Satellite, together with
>> quite a few other maintainers from projects throughout our ecosystem, and
>> see NumPy, Matplotlib, AstroPy and other projects highlighted prominently
>> in Nat Friedman's keynote. It included the story of the black hole image,
>> and the open source software that enabled that image. It's the first 21
>> minutes of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAbJkn4uRL4.
>>
>> Also, we now have "used by" for each repo and the dependency graph (
>> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/network/dependents): right now there are
>> 205,240 repos and 13,877 packages on GitHub that depend on NumPy. Those
>> numbers were not easy to get before, so very useful to have them in the UI
>> now.
>>

> Thanks for the link. That was a lot of material to digest, do you have
> thoughts about which things we should be interested in?

The triage role will be very useful (not yet available except as beta,
being rolled out over the next couple of weeks). It nicely fills the gap
between "nothing" and "full write access".

The "used by" and the dependency graph features will be very useful when,
e.g., writing proposals. It's not 100% complete (no OpenBLAS link for us
for example) but it's better than anything we had before.

I'm still wrapping my head around "sponsors". It's aimed at individuals and
in general not the best for for NumPy and similar size projects I think,
but there's a lot to like as well and there may be more coming in that
direction. For those who are interested in funding/sponsoring, this is a
nice reflection on the sponsors feature:
https://nadiaeghbal.com/github-sponsors

Finally I think the Event Horizon Telescope "story" as presented in that
keynote is interesting and very useful when explaining the impact of our
projects. We can use that on the website and in other places. Getting
similar stories from outside physics and astronomy - the more diverse the
better - will be valuable too. If there are people out there who can
explain or help write up examples with large impact (say a major discovery
in biology, a Nobel prize in economics, etc. using scientific Python),
let's talk!

Cheers,
Ralf