[Numpy-discussion] a new grant for NumPy and OpenBLAS!

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 18:42:15 EST 2019

Hi all,

I'm very pleased to announce that NumPy and OpenBLAS have received a joint
grant for $195,000 from the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.

In summary, this grant is for high-level documentation, website development
and graphic design, governance activities and community building for NumPy,
and for technical work on OpenBLAS (which is one of NumPy's key
dependencies). I wrote a blog post on what this grant is about and some
background at [1], and published the full proposal at [2]. The program
managers wrote a blog post about the whole program [3] which is also well
worth reading.

I'm looking forward to what we'll be able to do with this grant. The work
is planned to start quite soon, Dec 1st, and run for one year.

Questions and ideas on any aspect of this grant are very welcome!

Cheers,
Ralf

[1] https://labs.quansight.org/blog/2019/11/numpy-openblas-CZI-grant/
[2]