[Numpy-discussion] a new grant for NumPy and OpenBLAS!

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 20:44:42 EST 2019

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 4:42 PM Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm very pleased to announce that NumPy and OpenBLAS have received a joint
> grant for $195,000 from the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.
>
> In summary, this grant is for high-level documentation, website
> development and graphic design, governance activities and community
> building for NumPy, and for technical work on OpenBLAS (which is one of
> NumPy's key dependencies). I wrote a blog post on what this grant is about
> and some background at [1], and published the full proposal at [2]. The
> program managers wrote a blog post about the whole program [3] which is
> also well worth reading.
>
> I'm looking forward to what we'll be able to do with this grant. The work
> is planned to start quite soon, Dec 1st, and run for one year.
>
> Questions and ideas on any aspect of this grant are very welcome!
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf
>
> [1] https://labs.quansight.org/blog/2019/11/numpy-openblas-CZI-grant/
> [2]
> https://figshare.com/articles/Proposal_NumPy_OpenBLAS_for_Chan_Zuckerberg_Initiative_EOSS_2019_round_1/10302167
> [3]
> https://medium.com/@cziscience/the-invisible-foundations-of-biomedicine-4ab7f8d4f5dd

Nice. The distribution of funded projects across institutions was
interesting and I was a bit surprised that Harvard/MIT/Stanford didn't have
more representation. I'm glad to see OpenBLAS get some help.  We should
also begin thinking about quad precision linear algebra at some point,
although double precision does the job for most things.

Chuck