[Numpy-discussion] NEP 32: Remove the financial functions from NumPy

Warren Weckesser warren.weckesser at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 08:56:23 EDT 2019

Github issue 2880 ("Get financial functions out of main namespace",
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/2880) has been open since 2013. In a
recent community meeting, it was suggested that we create a NEP to propose
the removal of the financial functions from NumPy.  I have submitted "NEP
32:  Remove the financial functions from NumPy" in a pull request at
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/14399.  A copy of the latest version of
the NEP is below.

According to the NEP process document, "Once the PR is in place, the NEP
should be announced on the mailing list for discussion (comments on the PR
itself should be restricted to minor editorial and technical fixes)."  This
email is the announcement for NEP 32.

The NEP includes a brief summary of the history of the financial functions,
and has links to several relevant mailing list threads, dating back to when
the functions were added to NumPy in 2008.  I recommend reviewing those
threads before commenting here.

Warren

-----

NEP 32 — Remove the financial functions from NumPy