[Numpy-discussion] shipping sdists without generated C sources from Cython code

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 01:40:46 EDT 2019

Hi all,

There are several open issues about people not being able to compile the
latest release with Python 3.8 betas due to our release containing
generated C code with a too old version of Cython. This happened for Python
3.7 as well. With the Python packaging system having improved that build
dependencies are no longer insane, I think we should stop shipping the
generated C sources.

We've discussed this a couple of times before on GitHub, but I've now
opened a PR for this (https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/14453) so I
thought it would be good to mention here in case anyone sees an issue with
doing this.

Cheers,
Ralf