[Numpy-discussion] Low-level API for Random

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 09:12:15 EDT 2019

I'm using the low-level generator.  In this example I need to generate
small random integers of defined bit widths (e.g., 2 bit).  So
I get 64-bit uniform random uintegers, and cache the values, returning
them n-bits (e.g. 2 bits) at a time to the caller.

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 9:03 AM Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/9/19 2:18 pm, Neal Becker wrote:
> > I have used C-api in the past, and would like to see a convenient and
> > stable way to do this.  Currently I'm using randomgen, but calling
> > (from c++)
> > to the python api.  The inefficiency is amortized by generating and
> > caching batches of results.
> >
> > I thought randomgen was supposed to be the future of numpy random, so
> > I've based on that.
> >

> It would be good to have actual users tell us what APIs they need.
>
> Are you using the BitGenerators or only the higher level Generator
> functions?

Those who don't understand recursion are doomed to repeat it