[Numpy-discussion] error during pip install

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 12:12:56 EDT 2019

On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 9:45 AM Alan Isaac <alan.isaac at gmail.com> wrote:

> >>     Upgrading numpy with pip on Python 3.8b4 on Win 10
> >>     produced:
> >>     ERROR: Could not install packages due to an
> >>     EnvironmentError: [WinError 123] The filename,
> >>     directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect:
> >>     '"C:'
>
> >>     However, the install appears to have been successful.
>
> >> On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 5:41 PM Charles R Harris wrote:
> > I that the pip that comes with Python 3.8b4?
>
> Yes.
>
> On 9/27/2019 7:43 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
> > And where did you get NumPy, we don't have any compatible wheels. Was
> this from source?
>

> Umm, ... does `pip` automatically compile from source in
> this case?  (I just used `python38 -m pip install numpy`;
> I'm afraid I did not specify a log file.)

Yes. I'm actually pleased that the install succeeded on Window, although
you won't have good BLAS/LAPACK, just the numpy C versions of lapack_lite.
The warning/error is a bit concerning though, it would be nice to know if
it is from Python3.8 pip or numpy.

> But I'll take the core message to be: wait for the wheels.

We will need to work on generating 3.8 wheels as soon as Python 3.8 is
released. I'd like to try before then, but the simplest attempt failed and
I didn't pursue it.

Chuck