[Numpy-discussion] Experimental `like=` attribute for array creation functions

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Thu Aug 13 10:47:43 EDT 2020

On Thu, 2020-08-13 at 15:47 +0200, Peter Andreas Entschev wrote:
> [...]
> > improve this. And specified in there as well that NEP content set
> > to the mailing list should only contain the sections: Abstract,
> > Motivation and Scope, Usage and Impact, and Backwards
> > compatibility. This to ensure we fully understand the "why" and
> > "what" before the "how". Unfortunately that template and procedure
> > hasn't been exercised much yet, only in NEP 38 [7] and partially in
> > NEP 41 [8].
> >
> > If we have long-time maintainers of SciPy (Ilhan and myself),
> > scikit-image (Juan) and CuPy (Leo, on the PR review) all saying
> > they don't understand the goals, relevance, target audience, or how
> > they're supposed to use a new feature, that indicates that the
> > people doing the writing and having the discussion are doing
> > something wrong at a very fundamental level.
>
> I'm more than happy to edit the NEP and try to clarify all the
> concerns. However, it gets pretty difficult to do so when I as an
> author don't understand where the difficulty is. Ilhan, Juan and Ralf
> now pointed out things that are missing/unclear, but no comment was
> made in that regard when I sent the NEP, my point being: I couldn't
> fix what I didn't know was a problem to others.
>
> > At this point I'm pretty disappointed in and tired of how we write
> > and discuss NEPs on technical topics like dispatching, dtypes and
> > the like. People literally refuse to write down concrete
> > motivations, goals and non-goals, code that's problematic now and
> > will be better/working post-NEP and usage examples before launching
> > into extensive discussion of the gory details of the internals. I'm
> > not sure what to do about it.
>
> Honestly, I don't really understand this. From my perspective, there
> are two ways to deal with such things:
>
> 1. Templates are to be taken mainly as _guidelines_ rather than
> _hardlines_, and the current text of NEP-35 definitely falls in the
> first category;
> 2. Templates are _hardlines_ and to be guided/enforced by maintainers
> at some point (maybe before merging the PR?).
>
> If 2 is the desired case for NumPy, which sounds a lot like what is
> wanted from NEP-35 and other NEPs generally, maintainers should let
> the authors know as early as possible that something isn't following
> the template's hardlines and it should be corrected. I don't mean any
> of this to remove myself of any responsibility, but would like to
> express my frustration that a 10 month-old NEP is only now getting so
> much pushback for being unclear after its implementation is nearing
> completion.
>
> > I want to make an exception for merging the current NEP, for which
> > the plan is to merge it as experimental to try in downstream PRs
> > and get more experience. That does mean that master will be in an
> > unreleasable state by the way, which is unusual and it'd be nice to
> > get Chuck's explicit OK for that.
>
> I don't quite understand this either, why would that leave master in

Well, a few points are not discussed to the end yet. The name is one
that did not get much attention yet. Maybe because nobody had much
concerns about it yet, or maybe it was just lower on the priority list.

To be clear: I am fully prepared to pull this out of master before
release or probably rather disable it in release versions. An
alternative could be an environment variable (an env variable will not
stop actual adoption, but we may be fine with that).
And unless NEP 35 is accepted, that probably has to be the default,
fortunately there is still some time until the next release.

- Sebastian