[Numpy-discussion] manylinux upgrade for numpy wheels

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue Feb 4 17:36:42 EST 2020

Pretty sure the 2010 and 2014 images both have much newer compilers than
that.

There are still a lot of users on CentOS 6, so I'd still stick to 2010 for
now on x86_64 at least. We could potentially start adding 2014 wheels for
the other platforms where we currently don't ship wheels – gotta be better
than nothing, right?

There probably still is some tail of end users whose pip is too old to know
about 2010 wheels. I don't know how big that tail is. If we wanted to be
really careful, we could ship both manylinux1 and manylinux2010 wheels for
a bit – pip will automatically pick the latest one it recognizes – and see
what the download numbers look like.