[Numpy-discussion] NEP 37: A dispatch protocol for NumPy-like modules

Andreas Mueller t3kcit at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 11:01:04 EST 2020

A bit late to the NEP 37 party.
I just wanted to say that at least from my perspective it seems a great
solution that will help sklearn move towards more flexible compute engines.
I think one of the biggest issues is array creation (including random
arrays), and that's handled quite nicely with NEP 37.

There's some discussion on the scikit-learn side here:
https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/pull/14963
https://github.com/scikit-learn/scikit-learn/issues/11447

Two different groups of people tried to use __array_function__ to
delegate to MxNet and CuPy respectively in scikit-learn, and ran into
the same issues.

There's some remaining issues in sklearn that will not be handled by NEP
37 but they go beyond NumPy in some sense.
Just to briefly bring them up:

- We use scipy.linalg in many places, and we would need to do a separate
dispatching to check whether we can use module.linalg instead
  (that might be an issue for many libraries but I'm not sure).

- Some models have several possible optimization algorithms, some of
which are pure numpy and some which are Cython. If someone provides a
different array module,
  we might want to choose an algorithm that is actually supported by
that module. While this exact issue is maybe sklearn specific, a similar
issue could appear for most downstream libs that use Cython in some places.
  Many Cython algorithms could be implemented in pure numpy with a
potential slowdown, but once we have NEP 37 there might be a benefit to
having a pure NumPy implementation as an alternative code path.

Anyway, NEP 37 seems a great step in the right direction and would
enable sklearn to actually dispatch in some places. Dispatching just
based on __array_function__ seems not really feasible so far.

Best,
Andreas Mueller