[Numpy-discussion] Numpy support for Microblaze

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 12:35:46 EST 2020

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 8:34 AM Frederic Bastien <fbastien at nvidia.com>
wrote:

> I like your breakdown. But the fact that it is a softcore is not related.
> We do not need to compile it to an HDL.
> We need it to be compiled to the binary format that the Microblaze support.
>
> Now, after one full version is working as a software, it is possible to
> optimize part of NumPy by having those part synthesized to hardware.
> But from my understanding, it wasn't the question. This would be a bigger
> effort and I suppose there is no guide from NumPy on how to do this.

Indeed, there is no particular guide. Porting Python first will likely tell
you a whole lot about the general process. You can search in the numpy
source for "NPY_CPU" (and "PPC" and "ARM") to see where we have applied
architecture-specific customizations. I suspect that you will have more
trouble dealing with the OS (or lack of OS, if that's the case) than the
architecture itself.

--
Robert Kern