[Numpy-discussion] 8 Real Distributions

Michael Lance michael.lance at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 21:46:17 EST 2020

TLDR;
I think this could be a useful contribution to NumPy, but I want to get
feedback on where it should go (either in NumPy or elsewhere).
I have functions using numpy.random which invoke the 8 "Real" data sets as
estimated by Ted Micceri in 1989. These can be useful in Monte Carlo
simulations.

Background info:

Parametric inferential statistics generally assume normal distributions
(though kurtosis presents less of an issue than skew). However, in
"nature", distributions are often not normal. In 1989, Ted Micceri's study (
http://psycnet.apa.org/record/1989-14214-001) on real data sets resulted in
the estimation of 8 "Real" distributions. Using these distributions in
simulations help to produce more realistic types I and II error rate and
power estimates, particularly for smaller samples.
A similar module is currently available in Fortran called realpops.