[Numpy-discussion] Improving Complex Comparison/Ordering in Numpy

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Wed Jul 1 15:17:17 EDT 2020

On Sat, 2020-06-27 at 16:08 -0700, Rakesh Vasudevan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    Following up on this. Created a WIP PR
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/16700
>
> As stated in the original thread, We need to start by having a sort()
> function for complex numbers that can do it based on keys, rather
> than
> plain arithmetic ordering.
>
> There are two broad ways to approach a sorting function that supports
> keys
> (Not just for complex numbers).

Thanks for this. I think the idea is good in general and I would be
happy to discuss details here. It was discussed briefly here:

    https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/15981

This is a WIP, but allows nicely to try out how the new API
could/should look like, and see the potential impact to code.  The
current choice is for:

    np.sort(arr, keys=(arr.real, arr.image))

for example.  `keys` is like the `key` argument to pythons sorts, but
unlike python sorts is not passed a function but rather a sequence of
arrays.

Alternative spellings could be `by=...`? Or maybe someone has a
different API idea.

There are also some implementation details to figure out, since
internally it probably will do an `argsort` over all key arrays which
is much like, but a bit faster than, `np.lexsort`+`np.take_along_axis`.

I like this approach in general, since I do not think complex
lexicographic sorting is "obvious" and this also allows the choice of:

    np.sort(complex_arr, keys=(abs(complex_arr,))

to get convenient (although maybe not fastest) sorting by magnitude
seems like a reasonable API choice.

So I am happy if Rakesh pushes this forward, and if anyone has doubts
about the API choice in general or the implications to complex sorting
specifically it would be good to discuss this.  The PR allows some
testing of the feature already.

Cheers,

Sebastian