[Numpy-discussion] Proposal to add clause to license prohibiting use by oil and gas extraction companies

Ryan May rmay31 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 15:59:50 EDT 2020

Hi,

I can respect where this comes from, especially as someone who works in
atmospheric science. I'm glad people are trying to do what they can.

With that said, I am -1000 on this. In my opinion, a software license is a
wholly inappropriate venue for trying to do this. At the top of the home
page for the Free Software Foundation: "Free software developers guarantee
everyone equal rights to their programs". What you're proposing is
essentially "everyone equal rights so long as they aren't working on things
I disagree with". The nobility of the cause in my opinion doesn't justify
compromising the values behind free software.

As someone with some miniscule commits in the numpy codebase, I would not
want them distributed under the modified license. As a developer of other
downstream projects, I would switch to the BSD fork of the project that
would inevitably materialize.

Ryan

Ryan May