[Numpy-discussion] Why does fancy indexing work like this?

Aaron Meurer asmeurer at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 19:08:04 EDT 2020

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 4:55 PM Aaron Meurer <asmeurer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah, so I guess I caught this issue right as it got fixed. There are no
> warnings in 1.19.0, but I can confirm I get the warnings in numpy
> master. 1.19.1 isn't on conda yet, but I tried building it and didn't
> get the warning there. So I guess I need to wait for 0.19.2.

Or rather 1.20 I guess https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/15900.

By the way, it would be useful if deprecation warnings like this had a
functionality to enable the actual post-deprecation behavior. Right
now the warning says to run warnings.simplefilter('error'), but this
causes the above indexing to raise DeprecationWarning, not IndexError.

Aaron Meurer