[Numpy-discussion] Numpy FFT normalization options issue (addition of new option)

Chris Vavaliaris cv1038 at wildcats.unh.edu
Mon Jun 8 22:43:49 EDT 2020

Hello,

- my first reaction would be that the less argument names we change at a
time the better, so that we don't confuse people or cause codes written with
previous NumPy versions to break. Personally I always think of "ortho" as
"orthonormal", which immediately brings "unit norm" to mind, but I have no
problem whatsoever with changing its name to "unitary" or maybe "unit",
which I'd probably choose if we were writing the routines from scratch.

- In terms of the "inverse" name option, I do believe that it'd be a
confusing choice since "inverse" is used to describe the inverse FFT; if we
choose to stick with a name that's based on the fact that this scaling is
opposite to the "norm=None" option, then I'd suggest "norm=opposite" as a
better choice. However, following Ross' comment, I think we could choose a
name based on the fact that the forward transform is now scaled by `n`,
instead of the backward one as in the default "norm=None". In this case, I'd
suggest "norm=forward", which we can also nicely abbreviate to the
4-character form "norm=forw" if desirable.

Chris

Feng Yu wrote

Sent from: http://numpy-discussion.10968.n7.nabble.com/