[Numpy-discussion] Opportunities for a NumPy sprint in Japan

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 09:15:31 EDT 2020

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 12:46 PM David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 3:41 PM Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 12/3/20 8:14 am, David Cournapeau wrote:
>> >
>> > I will try to join the meeting next week though (where are the info to
>> > join ?),
>> >
>> > David
>> >

>> The next one will be a community meeting on Wed Mar 18, 11am California
>> time on this zoom channel https://berkeley.zoom.us/j/762261535.
>

> Unfortunately, 11 a.m. pacific time is particularly difficult to make it
> in Japan (3 a.m. here).
>
> Would it be possible to instead prepare questions beforehand, and manage
> those asynchronously ?

Definitely. If you want to make a temporary dedicated label for this
sprint, please feel free to do that - it's easy to merge back into
good-first-issue later (the older good-first-issue ones tend to be a bit
polluted).

> I am looking for the following:
>
> 1. Issues that are good for first timers. Pretty much all of my team has
> experience in python, and knows the core numpy, and has easy access to both
> mac and linux. Not many people have experience with C or Cython.

There's few clear cut actionable Python-only issues in core I think -
looking at the issues for various modules, I especially recommend `numpy.ma`
issues, quite a bit of low hanging fruit there.

2. Doc and issues that require digging: this is good too, my team needs to
> learn this.
>
> In that context, I can try to do some triaging myself before the 18th
> march meeting, and get confirmation about the list ?

Sounds good.

Cheers,
Ralf