[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: NEP 41 -- First step towards a new Datatype System

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Mon Mar 23 16:47:39 EDT 2020

On Mon, 2020-03-23 at 18:23 +0100, Francesc Alted wrote:
<snip>
> > If we were designing a new programming language around array
> > computing
> > principles, I do think that would be the approach I would want to
> > take/consider. But I simply lack the vision of how marrying the
> > idea
> > with the scalar language Python would work out well...
> >

> I have had a glance at what you are after, and it seems challenging
> indeed.  IMO, trying to cope with everybody's need regarding data
> types is
> extremely costly (or more simply, not even possible).  I think that a
> better approach would be to decouple the storage part of a container
> from
> its data type system.  In the storage there should go things needed
> to cope
> with the data retrieval, like the itemsize, the shape, or even other
> sub-shapes for chunked datasets.  Then, in the data type layer, one
> should
> be able to add meaning to the raw data: is that an integer?  speed?
> temperature?  a compound type?

I am struggling a bit fully understand the lessons to learn.

There seems some overlap of storage and DTypes? That is mainly
`itemsize` and more tricky `is/has_object`. Which is about how the data
is stored but depends on which data is stored?
In my current view these are part of the `dtype` instance, e.g. the
class `np.dtype[np.string]` (a DTypeMeta instance), will have
instances: `np.dtype[np.string](length=5, byteorder="=")` (which is
identical to `np.dtype("U5")`).

Or is it that `np.ndarray` would actually use an `np.naivearray`
internally, which is told the itemsize at construction time?
In principle, the DType class could also be much more basic, and NumPy
could subclass it (or something similar) to tag on the things it needs
to efficiently use the DTypes (outside the computational engine/UFuncs,
which cover a lot, but unfortunately I do not think everything).

- Sebastian

<snip>