[Numpy-discussion] Put type annotations in NumPy proper?

Roman Yurchak rth.yurchak at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:28:04 EDT 2020

Thanks for re-starting this discussion, Stephan! I think there is
definitely significant interest in this topic:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/7370 is the issue with the largest
number of user likes in the issue tracker (FWIW).

Having them in numpy, as opposed to a separate numpy-stubs repository
would indeed be ideal from a user perspective. When looking into it in
the past, I was never sure how well in sync numpy-stubs was. Putting
aside ndarray, as more challenging, even annotations for numpy functions
and method parameters with built-in types would help, as a start.

To add to the previously listed projects that would benefit from this,
we are currently considering to start using some (minimal) type
annotations in scikit-learn.

--
Roman Yurchak